Tuesday 2 April 2013

M is for ........

That other little Mountmellick piece I was working on.....
For my A~Z 'M' tag
There are very few stitches in embroidery that begin with the letter 'M'
so I decided to dedicate my tag this week to a particular type of embroidery,
Originating from the town of Mountmellick in Ireland, which is traditionally worked in white.
I designed my own little piece
 Mung Moth

The stitches are worked using 4 different thicknesses of mat cotton threads on a soft sheen fabric called 'Jean' which is as it suggests like jeans, a close woven twill fabric.

Stitches used include satin, stem, whipped back and stem, french knots, overcast, and split stitch but there is also a specific Mountmellick stitch
shown here along the top wing sections
I was introduced to Mountmellick through one of Embroiders Guild groups that I attend
 and have recently completed the piece that I worked on at meetings there.
if you missed my post about it you can see it  here

If you want to read more about the origins of Mountmellick embroidery then there is more here

2 comments:

TwinkleToes2day said...

Beautiful Yvonne. :0) Mo x

Yvonne Moxon said...

Thanks Mo :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...